Portrait Class with Luke Haynes

Oops, I knew I had neglected my blog but didn't realise that it was so long since I last posted (July 2020).  Anyways 2020 and 2021 have not been normal years for anyone, so I'm going to try and post a bit more regularly.

Thanks to Covid, there has been no sewing meet-ups or workshops apart from online ones. I saw that Luke Haynes was running an online Portrait class last month and signed up.

A few days before the workshop, all the participants were emailed the pattern (which was a portrait of Dolly Parton!)

I really enjoyed this workshop, with lots of information provided. Luke Haynes uses glue to affix his fabric pieces but I used the old reliable bondaweb!

The technique itself is fairly labour intensive, each section has to be cut out of the paper pattern and then cut out of the fabric - so not a fast process but the results are great. You had to use four fabrics for this portrait - dark going to light. I used a dark green solid and the rest of the fabrics were 1980 flower prints which I had in my stash and didn't' really like, but they worked well for this technique. 
working on the eye section - the last parts to be done.

 still need to stitch and quilt the quilt top, but it looks fairly good and Dolly Parton is recognisable. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

EQA Picture Exchange

Spring Growth Quilt on exhibit

Quilters Guild Region 17 Meeting